Pages

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Life in Seattle

Well, with being busy with work and my schedule working around doing interviews, I haven't had a huge amount of opportunities or time to go do awesome things in Seattle. But every once in a while, I get lucky and the project funds an activity for us to do to keep us going. They call them "incentives." I call them "sweet! I don't have to work!" Anyway, the first one we had was going to a Mariner's Baseball game. Now, baseball is not my favorite sport...actually, it's one of my least favorite, but I was pretty excited to go! We lost (no surprise there - the Mariner's are great at losing) but I had an okay time. Being there definitely solidified my dislike of the sport, but oh well - it was fun being there. I spend 9 bucks on a hot dog, almost got knocked over the balcony (see picture below - Cherice almost killed us all when she barreled into us), and got wrongfully accused of being drunk (just because I'm loud and laughing does NOT mean I'm drunk!) Anyway, here are my roommates - at the time at least. Brittany B on the left - she left us to go be with her husband, what's that about?!, then Brittany H, Jessica, me and Cherice in front. I love them so much!
For another "incentive" we took a ferry ride over to Bainbridge Island. It was freezing cold and super windy and some of my friends got some great pictures of us all with our hair blowing and such, but I didn't. We walked around the little town for a few hours, had the best ice cream of my entire life, got free pizza from Dr. Day and took lots of fun pictures. Here is one of my favorites - we passed a little shop that had tables outside and these huge tea cups. HUGE.
When we got back from Bainbridge, Cherice, Jessica, Stephanie and I decided we wanted to see Seattle from the top of a building. We randomly chose one and went inside - oops! It turned out being a Federal building and we weren't allowed passed the front door. But the security guards told us that the tallest building in Seattle had an observation deck that was open to the public. So we went there, went up 73 floors and this was the view:
Apparently, Seattle has an underground. Back in the day they decided to build the streets of Seattle one floor above what it currently was in order to eradicate the plague. But parts are open for tours and some shops have renovated the lower floors, so you can actually walk below the streets and sidewalks of Seattle. I thought it was pretty cool! So we went on the Underground Tour and a few of us ended up having a little photo shoot on this barrel and chest. It was great fun. Our tour guide was Roman Catholic, but his sister-in-law is LDS. She taught him the Primary Song "Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree" and we ended up singing it while we were underground. I was pretty surprised, cause with all 18 of us singing, it sounded like the whole group was singing and I didn't think anyone else knew the song, but it was just us BYU students and the tour guide. Anyway - great fun and this is me with Danielle and Jessica under the streets!
Symphony time!! A small group of us went to Seattle Symphony and heard them play some works by Wagner and Mahler. It was so beautiful!! It made me miss playing French Horn SO much (they had 9! horn players! Absolutely gorgeous!!!) I absolutely loved it, but was also a bit sad because it reminded me of my ultimate dream that will now never happen - to play in a Symphony. Here is my new roommate Janae, Jennifer and I.Cherice and me!

The Seattle Aquarium is pretty dang cool. I think it's supposed to be the best one... I haven't been to enough to compare it, but it was awesome. Here I am with a starfish!
My roommates (now) and a scuba diver in the water. We are still debating as to whether it was a man or woman. I'm thinking woman...but we'll never know. Cherice, Jessica, me, Janae and Brittany.EWW!! Big, nasty octopus. It was very intriguing and very disturbing watching this thing move. Sick...
And finally, me laying on an otter....

5 comments:

britt said...

so, nothing against my replacement... but that pic of you all, i totally want to photoshop my face over hers so i can feel like i'm still with you all... i loved this blog, but it totally makes me want to cry b/c i miss you all so much!!!

Rachel said...

You are so lucky! Your summer sounds fantastic!! Mine has been... well, mine has been stressful. Anyway I've got August 18 permanently seared into me cellphone calendar and I know you're going to be WAY busy, but Ned and I found an AMAZING Vietnamese restaraunt if you're interested!!! Give me a call. I miss you so much!!!

Rachel said...

Also, the hair drama: that would take up way to much space in the comment area. I'll have to call you about it...

Rachel said...

I know this is getting kind of ridiculus: last comment, I promise! But I have to tell you that I LOVE your black peep-toe pumps!!

Sarah Elizabeth said...

i miss you. come home. and rachel c. is cute.